WHAT IS PILATES?
Pilates is a method of exercise developed by Joseph Pilates in the early 1900’s that strengthens and tones the entire body. The movements are
flowing, precise, energizing, and challenging, and rely on a “mind-body” connection. It’s this mind-body connection that makes Pilates
effective and defines what Pilates truly is. As Joseph Pilates once wrote, Pilates is “the complete coordination of the mind, body, and
WHAT CAN PILATES DO FOR YOU?
The Pilates Method and Pilates equipment will strengthen and tone the entire body, with an emphasis on the core muscles (primarily the abdominals
and inner thighs to support the back). It is not uncommon for pilates students to relearn correct posture, realign to proper biomechanics
patterns and gain inches in height after only a few months of regular Pilates practice!
Benefits of Pilates
Everybody including men and women, athletes, dancers, new mothers, office workers, and let’s not forget us baby boomers! It doesn’t
matter if you are physically active or people recovering from injuries have all experienced the benefits of Pilates at Mountain
- Lengthen and strengthen muscles without building bulk
- Tone the whole body with use of light weights and spring resistance
- Increase flexibility, coordination, circulation, and overall health
- Increase range of motion
- Promote relaxation and well-being
- Golfers improve their game
- Runners, cyclists, skiers, and tennis players reduce risk of injury
- Bad backs decrease tension from building strength in the core muscles
- Older adults improve balance and joint health!